Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Best of David Allan Coe according to Russ vol.1

Now we all know outlaw country is great in it's own right. But in the past 5 to 6 years those "firey issue" kids (if you catch my drift) amongst other annoying folks have had a great hand in making the love of that sort of music very annoying. And you know what I'm talking about. All of a sudden 80% of the population thought that individually they were the only person(s) that ever listened to Willy, Waylon or Cash and felt it necessary to tell how great and honest that music was like you did'nt fucking know already. I said all that to let you folks know where I'm coming from on this one. I really enjoy a good bit of David Allan Coe's catalog...At least the first 12 or so years. But not in a "my inner outlaw indentifies with him cuz I'mma rebel at heart" sort of way.
I think in DAC's case the outlaw personna overshadowed what was really so great about him. The simple fact that he was an astute, articulate, clever and extremely witty songwriter with an ear for melody and structure far superior to any of his second generation contemporaries . In the later part of his career he kinda dwindled to his image and was damned to play biker rallies for the rest of his days. And futhermore it's hard to really find good representations of his earlier work due to hundreds of bullshit greatest hits albums. This is a comp I made for a trip to the Smokies, but never made it to the burner. This comp spans from 1969's "Penitentiary Blues"to 1982's "Underground Album" and shows the most eclectic range any country artist has ever had to offer... And honestly has far more to do with Southern Rock than country..... This comp is the Charles Bukowski of Southern rock..... I stand behind that statement.


Run-on Sentances Forever!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment